Frankie Carle


  • March 25, 1903
  • Providence, RI


  • March 7, 2001
  • Mesa, AZ

Real Name

  • Francis Nunzio Carlone

Marriages / Children

  • Ede
  • Margie

Theme Song

  • Sunrise Serenade

Frankie Carle

Pianist and bandleader Frankie Carle's career spanned seventy years. He first professional job came in 1916, working in his uncle's band for a dollar a week. He briefly led his own outfit in 1920 before joining Edwin J. McEnelley in 1921, with whom he made his first recordings. In 1936 he joined Mal Hallett, where he worked with such stars as Gene Krupa, Jack Teagarden and Jack Jenney.

After Hallett's band broke up in 1937 Carle led his own regional outfit around New England. His big break came in 1939 when he joined Horace Heidt. Gaining exposure on Heidt's national radio program, Carle quickly became popular for his piano style and found himself in big demand. In 1941 Eddie Duchin, about to enter military service, asked Carle to take over his orchestra for twenty five percent of the gross. When Carle mentioned it to Heidt, Heidt offered Carle a thousand dollars a week plus five percent of the gross. Carle stayed on with Heidt.

When Heidt decided to retire in 1944 he helped Carle form his own orchestra. Carle's group charted several hits for Columbia during the 1940s and appeared on two radio programs. Al Avola and Frank DeVol arranged. Paul Allen, Lee Columbo, Betty Bonney, Phyllis Lynne, and Marjorie Hughes were vocalists. Hughes was actually Carle's daughter. When Carle was searching for a new vocalist his wife slipped Margie's recording into the stack of demos, and Carle unknowingly choose her. He changed her name so as to let her build her own reputation, but gossip columnist Walter Winchell let the secret out after her first big hit, ''Oh, What It Seemed to Be.''

When the age of big bands faded during the 1950s Carle formed a slimmed-down unit. Known as Frankie Carle and His Rhythm, the group consisted of Carle on piano and four female musicians on guitar, drums, accordion and bass. It played smaller halls and recorded for RCA. Carle semi-retired during the 1960s but became active again during the big band revival of the 1970s. Carle's last tour was in 1983. He retired to Mesa, Arizona, to be near his daughter. Carle passed away in 2001, just 18 days shy of his 98th birthday.